Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Stacking 816 on 828

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    I'm thinking of stacking 816 on 828 to increase the bass output. I'm using 1005 and 288G for the highs. I have a pair of 416s and 411. Should I use 411/816 and 416/828 or 411/828 and 416/816?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    The 816 cabinet should be on top. You can try a 411 in the 828. What will make the difference is
    Tri amping or Bi amping between the 828 and the 816 cabinet. You will find a dramatic change in the sheer sonic size and sound clarity.

    828 :30 Hz to 150Hz 411
    816 :150 Hz to 500Hz 416
    Horn:500 HZ 288

    This has to be for live sound more than disco
    if I'm not mistaking.

    ...........................................

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Stacking 816 on 828


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Agree about the 816, put it on top. Flip it over so the ports are on top, this puts the two horn parts of the cabs together.
    However- the 411 in a ported box is something Altec said absolutely not to do.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Yup Old Guy is right the 411 is for a sealed enclosure. I would go for 416 in both cabinets.
    More flexibility. Bi amping will make all the difference anyway.

    http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...%20Speaker.pdf

    ...................................

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Another option is to install the 411s in the reflex section of the 828 after sealing it off. This has been done and discussed in several old threads, with 411s and also JBL 2245s. Probably the best option with what you have, to extend the bass response beyond what either (or both) horn cabs can do.

    If you're happy with how low your 828s play, and just want to reinforce that for a better sensitivity match to the HF, trade the 411s for another pair of 416s, and implement both cabs as suggested above. That arrangement puts the HF horn a little high for home use though.

    411s are all wrong for mid-bass horns. Even though Altec's use of 411s was all in sealed boxes, they do fine in vented cabs that are sized and tuned correctly. GM posted a promising simmed vented alignment some time back.

    It's just the choice of do you want more of what you already have, or deeper than what you have.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Old Guy:
    However- the 411 in a ported box is something Altec said absolutely not to do.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oooh, I must have missed this memo and glad I did. forums That said, it doesn't work all that well in a typical prosound or HIFI vented alignment, so I guess best to take a conservative POV.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Stacking 816 on 828


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Certainly isn't going to work well in that box,which was the point.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Agreed, a poor choice for either of these horns and didn't mean to imply otherwise.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks guys,

    I did some measurements, after stacking, my 1005 would be quite close to the ceiling, may not be a good idea for home audio. There's another option, that is, 816 at the bottom, 828 upright on top, mount 511B/802 inside 828 such that the horn would be about ear level when seated. But that means I cannot use my 288/1005 which I prefer.

    Or just buy the 411 and make a sealed box sub. I heard the bass extension of the 411 in a sealed box is quite good.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Stacking 816 on 828


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I would forget the 816's.

    416 in 828 with MC horn.

    411 in subwoofer.

    If wanted the 816's could be used for rear channels later.

    Opinion only, I'm sure someone else will have another one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.